Friday, June 04, 2010

Hmmmm


Really...???

Summers here already and it feels the year has just started. Knowing that i am one of the ones that can never be content with the weather that is present at the time makes me feel that this is going to be one long summer. But no worries, the weather is never the same in Vegas, you just have to wait 5 minutes.

As y'all know, i recently returned from a fantastic voyage across the southern plains, also known as the bible belt, for a two year mission in my church. Now what better way to learn about something than to indulge yourself in the culture/teachings of it, and that's what i did. Now having those experiences will better prepare me for something i want to be in the future.

While on my mission i had time to really think of who and what i wanted to become in this stage of my life. Before i left i had a deep interest in the how the mind functioned and the knowledge it is capable of obtaining, so i traveled down the road of psychology as every other freshman who doesn't know what he or she is going to do, they pick the most interesting subject and tell themselves they are gonna make a career out of it without actually looking deeper into the matter i.e. salary, lifestyle. Now dont get me wrong here, psychology is definitely an interesting subject, and yes, there is a need for it out in the world today, and yes, people can pick a subject from the syllabus and be totally capable of making that into a career, but i personally didn't have that burning desire anymore, that flame had extinguished and i was left again not knowing what path to choose.

I had always had this passion to cook growing up and to make combinations that often times wouldn't turn out as expected, but i really enjoyed it. And for the past two years i have been cooking for either my companions or other events in my mission witch made me realize (don't know why it took me so long to realize) that my interest is in cooking and having a career in that. So i started preparing the way of how what and where i was going to do this. I narrowed it down to three choices. The first one being, join the navy or coast guard and take classes from them, serve for a matter of 4 years or so and then be on my way. This choice didnt make my parents so pleased, especially my mom. The other 2 choices were either go to UNLV or CSN and get a degree and then apply it in the world. I looked into it and come to find out that the culinary students at UNLV are required to take the classes at csn due to the fact that they dont offer the classes, witch i think is weird, but I'm ok with that since CSN is definitely a good school and it also fits better with my budget for now.

So that's the plan! Enrolled in CSN for the fall and planning on achieving my AA in culinary arts. Then from there on we will see what happens, but i am happy to choose this path in my life at this time and i know it is something i want and that it has always been a hobby.

As of now i am working as a valet/bell boy attendant at the Turnberry Towers. Schedule is filling up but i still have time to be me. The summer will come and go and life will carry on, you just have to keep your mind focused on the goal at hand..

1 comment:

Emliy said...

You should have taken over my kitchen. I wouldn't have minded. You could always come back and take it over!!!